The Practicum Exchange Program (PEP) is tailored for overseas students who are studying at one of our partner universities and would like to gain valuable international experience at one of Australia’s leading research universities. The Practicum Exchange Program is a non-award exchange program for research students to obtain international research experience or professional/industrial practice. The program is generally one to six months, but may be for a maximum of twelve months.
To participate in the Practicum exchange program, you need to:
• be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in your own country
• be studying at a partner institution
• obtain agreement from a supervisor at UNSW
• complete the application form
• have an appropriate visa
• meet the language requirements.
• Acceptance for enrolment in the program depends on our ability to offer you suitable supervision.
• Do not travel to Australia until you have received your acceptance letter and obtain a visa. (You cannot enter Australia without a visa, unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen.)
How to apply for Practicum Exchange
1. Applicants contact UNSW academics to find a suitable supervisor and negotiates start and finish dates for their practicum.
2. If an academic agrees to take on a student for a Practicum Exchange, the student will need to complete and send Part A of the application form to the supervisor. The supervisor then completes Parts B & C and forwards the completed application form to Global Education Office for processing. The office also requires a copy of the students passport and confirmation of enrolment letter from the home institution.
3. The Global Education Office will send out the letter of acceptance to the student and supervisor.
4. The Student will need to organise OSHC insurance if coming on a student visa and send receipt to the Global Education Office
5. The Global Education Office will confirm receipt and send Confirmation of Enrolment to the student
6. The student can then organise the appropriate visa for their stay in Australia.
Students applying for a Practicum Exchange are requested to apply at least 3 months in advance.
Applications received after these deadlines may still be accepted however will incur a late applications fee penalty of AUD110.00.
Arrival and orientation
We recommend that you contact your supervisor before leaving home to organise a time to meet with them. Orientation sessions are generally held in the Global Education Office at the Red Centre Building at 10am on Mondays (whichever day is closest to your start day). The process takes approximately 30 minutes and is compulsory for all new practicum students to ensure that you are correctly enrolled.