Students on campus

As a student from a partner university we invite you to apply for exchange. Information on the UNSW Student Exchange Program can be found in the exchange student guidelines (download guidelines in the right column of this page).

Subject choices

To be considered a full-time student, you need to enrol in 24 units of credit per semester, or 48 units of credit per academic year. Most courses are worth six credit units. We try to enrol you in your preferred courses before you arrive, but enrolment is subject to course availability and Faculty approval. You can change your courses up to the end of the first week of the semester.

We recommend that you check the UNSW Handbook and the faculty websites to check your course information and to check that your subjects will be offered in the semester you are on exchange.

Language requirements

Students from countries where English is not the language of instruction must satisfy UNSW English language admission requirements. Students are asked to supply proof of English as part of their exchange application. For further information please see UNSW’s English language requirements.


When you conclude your exchange with us, we send three copies of your academic transcript to the Exchange Office at your university. (We withhold your transcript if there is any money owing, such as library fines.)

Transferring credits to your home university
Each university has its own process for transferring credits. Please consult your home university for details.


As an exchange student, you are eligible to apply for a student visa for the duration of your study (either one semester or one year). Exchange students are enrolled as a non-award student

Streamlined Visa Process
UNSW is participating in the Streamlined Visa Process and information for exchange students is included in the application process when students accept their offer online. See Visas for more information. For updates on visa policy, please visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website at:

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
As an exchange student, it is a visa requirement that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay. (Health insurance obtained in your own country is not sufficient.) OSHC provides medical and hospital cover similar to that available to Australian citizens through Medicare, the national healthcare system. You receive details of how to obtain OSHC when you are accepted into the exchange program.

Arrival and Orientation
Orientation is compulsory for all exchange students and we hope lots of fun. It is a great way to settle in and meet other students. You should arrive 1-2 weeks before orientation to arrange accommodation. Details are emailed to you when you are accepted into the exchange program. Don't forget to sign up for the Aussie Mate Program!

Exchange students can choose to live on campus in one of the residential college or find their own off campus accommodation. If you wish to live on campus you should apply as soon as possible.  See Accommodation for more details