If you are going overseas for an exchange, practicum, short course, conference, study tour, volunteer placement or internship register your travel with UNSW here.
Students who participate in outbound international programs may be covered by the UNSW Travel Insurance Policy. If you are unsure of whether you are covered by the UNSW travel policy please contact the Global Education Office.
If covered by the university policy, it is important that you check your insurance cover before you leave Australia. We strongly recommend you arrange additional travel coverage through a private insurance provider if this does not cover all your needs.
Here is a checklist to consider before you go on overseas.
• Valid passport for the entire length of your stay overseas plus six months.
• Apply for the appropriate Visa
• Check you are appropriately covered by insurance
• Undergo a Health check. Ask your GP about vaccinations needed.
• Register with DFAT on arrival at your destination
Safety and Security
We strongly urge you to maintain a watch on the Department of Foreign Affairs and www.smartraveller.gov.au regarding international developments and travel warnings when planning your overseas experience.
Safety and Security overseas: Critical Incidents
In the event of a critical incident the following offices should be informed as soon as possible:
- • The International Office at your host university. Keep their contact details handy.
- UNSW insurance provider (ACE) on +61 2 89075995 or your personal insurance provider.
- The UNSW Global Education Office on +61 2 9385 7276 or via email.
- Where the incident occurs after hours, contact UNSW Security on +61 2 9385 6666
Should an unforeseen disaster occur during your visit such as an earthquake, typhoon, tornado, tsunami, it is essential that in addition to the above offices you also make contact with the local Australian diplomatic mission.